gentamicin [Antibiotic]

Download Sequences

Accession ARO:3007382
Synonym(s)Garamycin Gentavet Gentamicins Gentacycol Cidomycin Gentamicinum
DefinitionGentamicin is a commonly used aminoglycoside antibiotic derived from members of the Micromonospora genus of bacteria. It acts by binding the 30S ribosomal subunit, thus inhibiting protein synthesis. Gentamicin is typically used to treat Gram-negative infections of the repiratory and urinary tract, as well as infections of the bone and soft tissue. It also exhibits considerable nephrotoxicity and ototoxicity. Gentamicin is administered as a mixture of gentamicin type C (which makes about around 80% of the complex) and types A, B, and X (distributed in the remaining 20% of the complex).
Drug Classaminoglycoside antibiotic
Classification2 ontology terms | Show
Parent Term(s)2 ontology terms | Show
35 ontology terms | Show
+ gentamicin C [Antibiotic]
+ gentamicin B [Antibiotic]
+ gentamicin A [Antibiotic]
+ gentamicin X [Antibiotic]
+ AAC(3)-Ia confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-Id confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-Ic confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIg confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IId confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIe confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIc confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIb confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIa confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIIa confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IIIb confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-IVa confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-VIa confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(2')-Ia confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(2')-Ib confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(2')-Ic confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(2')-Id confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(2')-Ie confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(6')-IIa confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(6')-IIb confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(6')-IIc confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ ANT(2'')-Ia confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-Ib confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(3)-Ib/AAC(6')-Ib3 bifunctional protein confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(6')-31 confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AAC(6')-32 confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ fosA5 confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ AcrAD-TolC confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ acrD confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ CrcB confers_resistance_to_antibiotic
+ putative nickel/cobalt transporter confers_resistance_to_antibiotic

Randjelovic P, et al. 2017. EXCLI J 16:388-399 Gentamicin nephrotoxicity in animals: Current knowledge and future perspectives. (PMID 28507482)